Monday, January 9, 2017

A Slow Start



There are moments when I feel rather overwhelmed with the choices I have made in life. Recently this is because of the cavalcade of events that have accompanied my recent decisions in regard to the Tour this year.

I shan’t bore you with the details, but there have been medical procedures, inclement weather, transportation issues (I work out of town), long hours spent for work, and some medical problems for loved ones. During all of this I am also kickstarting this Tour and trying to make changes to my life.
I have been eating a little better. I have maintained a more productive outlook. I have tried to keep myself physically busy and playful. I have also been mentally making plans for decluttering. All of this is going on in the background while I take care of everything else.

I have also been trying to take a good hard look at other things in my life that may be impeding my productivity. I’m basing this off of the idea that there are certain things I want and need to be productive towards. Impediments are those things that are in some way taking away from that progress without really adding any value in return.

This means that some hard decisions have to be made regarding my spare time. One thing I really enjoy is my games. I play video, but I really love my tabletop games. The great thing about tabletop games is that they are inherently social. They make our brains work in ways most other leisure activities do not. I have a great deal of fun playing these games with family and friends. This is what I would consider truly added value. Unfortunately we do not play as much as we used to. I would like to change that.

The video games are a different story. I enjoy the time I spend playing them. I enjoy the escape and the relaxation of exploring from the comfort of home. It’s a nice way to just enjoy yourself when there is not much else to do. The problem is that I sometimes find myself devoting chunks of time to playing these games (mostly by myself) instead of working on projects that I really wish to pursue or spending time with loved ones. 

Fortunately my entire family games. Everyone understands the desire and also plays too. I worry though about the time spent in our own worlds and cut off from everyone and everything else. Not only is nothing really accomplished during this time, but any memories I make are just my own virtual experiences and not shared. Having said that, I do not think video games are bad. Far from it. I just think that much care must be exercised in the time we spend. For me personally, I feel that my time will be much better spent on my real projects and in spending time with those closest to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment